Sunday, May 24, 2009



This post is a lesson from life on prejudice. When we visited Mike's ward last month for his ordination, a man with a beard came in and sat in front of us at sacrament meeting. Now I had always been impressed with the members of this ward as being very exemplary LDS, but when this guy showed up my immediate reaction was "what kind of a rebel is this?" I didn't say that, but Mike might have known I was thinking it, because he said to me " do you know why that guy is growing a beard?" Obviously I didn't, so he explained: "He has been asked by an artist to prepare to be a model for a painting of the Savior." When he told me that I was amazed at how immediately my perception of this man changed; from a backslider trying to avoid a call to the bishopric, or worse; to a sweet latter-day-saint with the most angelic countenance. Since then I have made an effort to see the face of Jesus in other people who did not to appear very holy at first, and when I have done that it has always made me feel better. The other lesson that we might learn from this story is this; think what a world this would be if we were all trying to be a model for the savior, not necessarily by growing a beard, but by trying to "receive his image in our countenances" ( Alma 5:14).

No comments:

Post a Comment